By Mandy Manners
Unstuffed Peppers turn stuffed peppers on their heads, quite literally! Instead of filling peppers, the bright and juicy vegetable simmers with savory sausage and fluffy, flavorful rice. Rich, cheesy, and with beautiful seasoning, Unstuffed Peppers mix up a traditional dish for a majestic taste! Get ready to crunch into a meal you won’t stop craving!
• 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
• 1 small onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
• 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, juices reserved
• 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
• 1 2/3 cups water, plus more as needed
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• salt, to taste
• pepper, to taste
• 4 bell peppers, any color, diced
• 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
In a large pan, brown the sausage and onion over medium heat until no pink remains in the sausage, about 6-8 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Drain the fat from the pan.
Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, rice, water, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Bring the mixture to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes.
Stir in the diced peppers and cook until the rice is tender, for about 15-20 minutes.
Stir the mixture and top with mozzarella cheese.
Remove the pan from the heat and cover.
Let sit for 10 minutes. Serve!